Birds are fascinating! And with the variety of species around the world, I feel there is never an end to learning new things about our feathered friends.
Here are some fun facts about birds!
- The ostrich is the largest bird in the world. It also lays the biggest eggs of any bird species and has the largest eyes of any animal that lives on land. Their eyes are about the size of a billiard ball and are bigger than their brains!
- The most common bird species in the world is the chicken.
- A whopping seven states have the cardinal as their state bird. The seven states are Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, North Carolina, Ohio, Virginia, and West Virginia
- Hummingbirds can fly backwards.
- The plastic pink flamingo is the official bird of Madison, Wisconsin.
- The world’s smallest bird is the bee hummingbird. It weighs less than a penny!
- Budgerigars, or budgies, are a common type of parakeet that are the only bird species (so far discovered!) susceptible to contagious yawning.
- Hoatzin birds are known as stink birds for their unique stench and are born with claws on their wings.
- Owl eyes are not true “eyeballs.” Their eyes are tube-shaped and completely immobile.
- The bassian thrush releases gas to disturb worms making it easier to find and feed on them!
I hope you learned a bird fact you didn’t know before! I know I certainly did!
Do you know any other fun facts that we should have included?
Let us know by e-mailing: BirdHouseLoveInfo@gmail.com
Thanks and Happy Birding!